Summary: With the winter solstice upon us, it’s a good time to remember that Winter can be kind of a drag on your skin. There are some ways to keep looking youthful this winter without necessarily going in for plastic surgery.
Better Skin Without Plastic Surgery
Winter can be tough on the skin. The dry air just zaps away any moisture, and that can leave you with cracked and painful skin. When these winters start to add up, it can take a real toll, aging you a bit more quickly than you might like to admit. Wrinkles and lines pop up and they don’t seem to disappear. Your first instinct may be that the only way you can mitigate all of those lines and wrinkles is through a plastic surgery procedure of one sort or another. But that’s not necessarily the case. In fact, depending on your age, you may want to resist plastic surgery in favor of some other options.
We’re going to focus on five different options, each of which are designed to keep your skin looking and feeling more youthful, no matter what season it happens to be—and no matter what age you happen to be. This way you can get better skin without plastic surgery.
Option 1: Moisturize
It’s said that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and that’s definitely true when it comes to your skin. There are some things you can do to keep your skin from drying out. This means taking a proactive approach to keep your skin vital, healthy, and youthful. Some of the things you can do include the following:
- Apply moisturizer daily: Keeping your skin nice and moist is the first step of making sure you avoid lines and wrinkles. Be careful, though, as some moisturizers will pack a punch at first but dry out your skin over time. You want to make sure to keep things slow and steady.
- Stay hydrated: By making sure you drink plenty of water, you’ll be letting your body do most of the work. Staying hydrated will help your body keep your skin moist, meaning you won’t have to use quite so much in the way of moisturizers.
Option 2: Avoid Harsh Conditions
Winter is full of harsh conditions. It’s cold and it’s dry. But those harsh conditions shouldn’t follow you into your home. There are a couple of things you can do to make sure that your home is in a good place for your skin. First and foremost, make sure your home is humid enough. In some cases, you may have to purchase a humidifier. The second thing you can do is also pretty simple: Make sure you have the right kind of water. Hard water can really take a toll on your skin in the long run. Investing in a water softener can help you keep your skin hydrated.
Option 3: Botox Injections
When most people think of plastic surgery, they think of scalpels. Fortunately, there are plenty of options that don’t involve those scalpels. First and foremost—and certainly the most popular option—is a Botox injection. Many of your wrinkles are actually caused by muscle contractions. The Botox effectively paralyzes the muscle, meaning the wrinkle or the line disappears (or at least diminishes). Botox results are, of course, temporary, but you can keep them up with maintenance injections. But that also means that, when it comes to looking more youthful, Botox is a relatively affordable option. Whether you’re getting Botox in Houston or in Grand Forks, this is a great way to look more youthful over the winter.
Option 4: Dermal Filler Injections
When wrinkles aren’t caused by muscle contraction, they can sometimes be caused by a loss of volume. When loss of volume is the cause of your wrinkles, the solution is something called a dermal filler. These are, essentially, injections of volume into the skin. These injectables come with different specialities:
- Juvederm: This particular dermal filler is designed to fill in the areas around your cheeks
- Restylane: This is designed to be a very smooth dermal filler
- Bellafill: The longest lasting filler, Bellafill is designed for just that: long lasting results.
Like Botox, dermal fillers are temporary. But many patients love the results so much that they get regular maintenance injections in order to keep up those youthful appearances.
Option 5: Don’t Forget About Your Emotional Health
A great deal of how youthful we look actually has something to do with how we feel. In the winter months, especially, we can really feel the toll of the stress of the holidays and weather. Don’t forget to take some time for yourself to emotionally recharge as your Winter stretches on. This, more than anything, can help your skin look more youthful. It’s worth noting, too, that looking great—looking youthful—can help you feel better emotionally, creating a kind of beneficial cycle.
So this winter, keep your skin looking more youthful. There’s a lot you can accomplish without surgery.
- 5 Year Filler. (n.d.). Retrieved December 21, 2015, from http://www.bellafill.com/patient/wrinkle/5-year-filler
- Klenck, T. (1998, August 1). How It Works: Water Softener. Retrieved December 21, 2015, from http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/interior-projects/how-to/a150/1275126/
- Skin Care Basics. (2015, June 11). Retrieved December 21, 2015, from http://www.webmd.com/beauty/sun/skin-care-basics