Summary: One of the most popular plastic surgery procedures is rhinoplasty (or the nose job). But I don’t think I could say that one of the most popular body parts is the nose. Why, then, is rhinoplasty in such high demand? Why do people want this procedure so badly and so often? I think much of the answer has to do with the role the nose plays in the rest of the face.
Why is Rhinoplasty so Popular?
There’s that old saying: the eyes are the window to your soul. And that might be true. There are few characteristics that seem as identifying as a pair of eyes. Sometimes you know all you need to know just by looking someone in the eyes. But the eyes aren’t the whole face.
In fact, sometimes, the eyes aren’t even the most important part of the face. I would argue, instead, that it’s the nose that is, somehow, more important than anything else. Maybe it would be best to say that I believe the nose is the glue that holds the face together (whether that’s more important than a window to the soul is, I suppose, up to you).
But this would certainly help explain why rhinoplasty (the so-called nose job) is such an exceptionally popular procedure. For those who don’t know, a rhinoplasty is a procedure in which the size of shape of the nose is altered. Sometimes the nose is made bigger, sometimes the nose is made smaller.
In other cases, the shape of the nose is changed entirely. There are several reasons, I think, why rhinoplasty is so popular. But that popularity is certainly indicative of the importance of the nose.
The Role of the Nose
When you ask why is the rhinoplasty so popular, you’re also asking about the role of the nose in the rest of the face. The nose serves both utilitarian functions as well as aesthetic functions:
- Breathing: Of course, the most basic and important function of the nose is to facilitate the inhalation and exhalation of breath. On the way in, you get to smell everything, too. The nose can also filter out all sorts of allergens and particles; in other words, it does a lot of work when it comes to your breathing.
- Helping You Stay Healthy: The nose is a very important part of your immune system. You might not know that, but there are all sorts of mechanisms in your nose designed to help fight germs and keep them away. If you’ve ever had a sinus infection, you know how important your nose is to keeping you healthy.
- Balance: More than any other aspect of the face, the nose helps keep all the parts of your nose in balance. This has much to do with the shape of the nose, but also the position of the nose. It’s right in the middle of your face, if you think about it. And so the size and shape of the nose affects the relative size and shape of everything else.
Why Do People Change Their Noses?
In order to understand why rhinoplasty is so popular, we have to think about why people would want to change their noses in the first place. Now, we’re speaking from a purely aesthetic perspective here (rhinoplasty for medical reasons is pretty common—but it’s a different discussion).
According to the website of the New Jersey plastic surgeons at East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery, people will often change their noses because of the following reasons:
- They feel the nose is too big
- They feel the nose is too small
- They feel the nose is the wrong shape (for example, due to a drooping tip or crooked bridge)
- They want the nose to “look stronger”
- They want the nose to look more proportional to the rest of the face
Depending on the desires of the patient, rhinoplasty can be either relatively simple or quite complex. Patients that want to increase the size of the nose may have to have an implant inserted into the nose in order to achieve this larger size. Patients who want a significantly smaller nose may have to have cartilage from the nose removed.
In either case, this can be a substantial amount of work, and recovery from rhinoplasty procedures can be quite trying. So why is rhinoplasty so popular, with all the downsides? Well, the upsides are fantastic.
Why People Love Their Rhinoplasty Results
Once rhinoplasty is complete, most patients love their final results. And, of course, this is why they have a rhinoplasty procedure at all. Because the results make any other drawbacks worth it. Patients who were self-conscious about the size or shape of their nose are suddenly much more comfortable.
With the new nose often comes an increase in confidence and self-esteem. Patients often feel as though people can finally see their faces instead of being distracted by their noses. So, finally, the patient’s identity can shine through.