Breast augmentation surgery is seeing a spike in popularity again, bringing the topic to the forefront once more. Thousands of women every year consult their plastic surgeon about going under the knife to augment the size and shape of their breasts. It is important to really think about how big you want to be after surgery, because most of the regrets women not having gone big enough. Similar to getting a tattoo, making an overly conservative choice in size due to nerves can easily backfire and leave you wanting more.
Achieve Your Dream
The breast augmentation procedure is done under general anesthesia, where implants are placed underneath the breast tissues in order to improve the overall size and shape of the breasts. There are a lot of decisions to make when undergoing breast implant surgery. These include:
- Size and volume of the implant
- Silicone vs. Saline
- Profile and projection (high, medium, low)
- Incision site
- Implant placement (submuscular, subglandular)
Making the Right Choice
As previously stated, the No. 1 reason that women go back for revision of breast surgery is because they wish they went bigger. Your doctor will work with you to find the perfect look for your frame. A submuscular implant placement can help eliminate your regrets on this topic for the following reasons:
- The muscles covering the implant provide internal support, helping to reduce the weight of the implant. This minimizes the stretch of the overlying skin as time goes on, eliminating your worry of the impact larger implants may have on your future.
- There is more natural tissue covering the implant, making your breasts look and feel more natural, allowing you to choose a bigger implant and not worry about looking “fake.”
All Things Considered
After you have made all of the decisions about the type of implant, the incision point, and the placement you want, go back to the drawing board and think one more time about size. Implants are measured in cubic centimeters, or cc for short. Cubic centimeters are the metric volume measurement used to define the volume capacity of a breast implant. We suggest discussing sizes with Miami breast augmentation surgeon Dr. Moises Salama. Breast implant sizes for both saline and silicone range from about 120cc to 850cc. Discuss these options with your doctor and try out example implants to see which amount of cc is right for you.
Breast augmentation surgery is a great way for you to enhance the size and shape of your chest, as well as boost your self-esteem and give you confidence. The surgery is becoming a hot trend again, and more and more women are electing to have this procedure. Talk to your doctor today about all your options, and which size is the best for you!