Summary: There’s no denying the popularity of cosmetic surgery. For many, plastic surgery yields tempting results, but the surgery itself is often something of a turn-off—some people just don’t like the thought of going under the knife, understandably. That’s why it’s a good thing that there are non-surgical options for people who want to be appear more youthful. These non surgical procedures are becoming more and more popular every year. And while some procedures seem as though they’ll always remain on top (looking at you, Botox), there are other innovations making waves across the world.
Cosmetic Surgery Worldwide Popularity
Cosmetic surgery is popular, and it has only been getting more popular as time goes on. There are a lot of reasons for this, but the primary one is pretty simple: results. Plastic surgery procedures offer a great deal of transformative changes, but they bring with them two inevitabilities: pain and recovery. It’s true that plastic surgeons have done a great deal to make surgery less invasive and to speed up recovery, but those two elements still remain inevitabilities, if only by degrees. That doesn’t mean, necessarily, that someone should not pursue plastic surgery. But it does mean that if you’re looking for a more subtle change, you have some effective options beyond simple plastic surgery.
According to recent data published by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, cosmetic surgery was—no surprise—more popular last year than at any point in history. The ISAPS tracks procedures in an effort not only to keep tabs on what’s popular (so that plastic surgeons and cosmetic surgeons can ensure those procedures are offered) but also to keep track of who these procedures are enticing. That is, surgeons want to know their audiences, how those audiences break down among gender and age lines and so on. The data collected by ISAPS is essential in that regard.
Cosmetic Surgery Survey Results
And it’s also quite interesting. The most recent survey identified the five most popular non-surgical cosmetic procedures in the world. There are some surprises and some that are not so surprising:
- Botox Injections: As always, Botox is king of the hill. Since its introduction, Botox has been the most popular non-surgical procedure option. And it remains so mostly because it works. Botox targets wrinkles that are formed by contracted muscles. Some facial muscles get “stuck” in a contracted position, and the skin attached to those muscles becomes stuck in a wrinkle. By applying Botox, and paralyzing the muscle (forcing it to relax), the wrinkle then dissipates. Botox has numerous other applications as well, from helping patients with TMJ to helping patients suffering from migraines.
- Dermal Fillers: Technically, coming at number two is a specific type of dermal filler: those that are composed of hyaluronic acids. These acids, a natural compound already found in your body, are easily absorbed by your tissues, and in the process, they release a good deal of collagen. This means that you get more radiant, healthier looking skin, and you get the benefit of diminished wrinkles. These can include fillers such as Juvederm and Voluma, among other popular brand names.
- Laser Hair Removal: Perhaps to the surprise of no one, people find shaving and waxing to be a pain in the rear end. It’s time consuming and Sisyphean. You have to do it over and over again. Laser hair removal is a procedure that permanently zaps away your hair at the source. This means you never have to shave again. It can take several sessions to get the results just right, and it doesn’t work equally well for everybody. That said, for those who it does work best for, laser hair removal can be a great procedure.
- Chemical Peel: The art of giving your skin a little boost can still be found in the chemical peel. These peels basically remove the outer-most layer of tissue, meaning that the healthy, younger looking skin beneath suddenly becomes the star of the show. It’s a great way to make your skin look suddenly healthier.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing: Working under the same principle as a chemical peel but using slightly more updated means, laser skin resurfacing can help even out the skin tone of your face, removing blemishes and sun spots. Or it can be used to help mitigate slight wrinkles and lines. Laser skin resurfacing is an incredibly versatile procedure, with little in the way of recovery time (although there will be some redness). This means it’s a great option for some patients who are looking to make a subtle change.
When it comes to cosmetic surgery these days, patients have many options. And those options are only increasing. If you wanted a non-surgical procedure, there are many that you could get. If you’re looking for Laser Hair Removal in Minneapolis or laser skin resurfacing in Los Angeles, those options are now more abundant than ever. And the results are better than ever.
In the future, we’ll likely see this trend continue. Non-surgical cosmetic procedures are making great headway in offering patients wonderful results and transformations without the pain of recovery. The word for that is instant gratification—and that’s one thing patients will never get tired of.