Summary: There are some times when you don’t want to take the easy way out, where it might be detrimental (or maybe considered “cheating”). But there are other times when taking the easy way out is just, well, smarter. Is that the case when it comes to non surgical procedures?
Non Surgical Procedures are the Easy Way Out?
Plastic surgery can be a time consuming process. There’s a few important meetings and consultations. And then the actual surgery—which even on an outpatient basis can take hours. And then you’ve got days or weeks of recovery and rest, not to mention visits to the office to check on your progress.
There’s got to be an easier way, doesn’t there? Obviously, we tend to like non surgical procedures around here. And so do patients. That’s because non surgical procedures offer a way to get results without all of the more laborious steps of the process.
In a way, it’s not untrue to call non surgical procedures a kind of short-cut, then. But that doesn’t mean we’re cutting corners—it just means that surgeons are using a different set of tools. Let’s look at some non surgical procedures that can help you get results the easy way.
Changing Your Face the Easy Way
Let’s think about it like this for a second: putting on makeup changes the way your face looks. But putting on makeup isn’t necessarily a “shortcut.” It’s an art form. And it can vastly change the way you feel about the way you look. Non surgical procedures are similar, somewhere between makeup (or even “contouring”) and plastic surgery.
What are some non surgical ways you can change your face? Let’s take a look:
- Botox and Dermal Filler Injectables: One of the primary things people want to change in their faces is just how young or old they look. With a few injections of Botox or Juvederm, you can eliminate lines and wrinkles from the face. In other words, if you want to get rid of some lines and wrinkles without surgery, these injectables can do that.
- Non Surgical Nose Job: First developed in Los Angeles, non surgical nose job procedures have since exploded in popularity. This procedure, essentially, uses injections of dermal fillers to sculpt and mold your nose. By adding volume to the nose, the cosmetic surgeon can change the overall shape of the nose. The patient gets immediate results and doesn’t have to go through a very long recovery.
- Kybella: Yet another injection (I know, there are a lot of those). But this one is pretty special. Kybella is on the only injectable I know of that works to remove volume from your body. In this case, it targets deposits of fat around the jawline, effectively eliminating a double chin. It should be no surprise, then, that Kybella is quite popular with patients who want a more athletic-looking jawline.
Easy, But Not Always Best
There’s another way to look at this, too. Non surgical cosmetic surgery procedures are capable of generating excellent results—and their abilities extend well beyond the face. You could get CoolSculpting instead of liposuction, for example. However, one should not expect surgery-caliber results from non surgical procedures.
Now, not everyone needs surgery-caliber results. Not everyone wants the big and bold results. Those are the times when a non surgical procedure would work best, obviously.
So here’s what I’m getting at. Non surgical procedures offer the following benefits:
- They can often be accomplished quickly
- They can often yield instant (or near instant) results
- Painful recovery period is often minimal (or non-existent)
- Non surgical procedures are often much less expensive than surgical procedures
- Non surgical procedures are sometimes even reversible
There are more benefits, of course—but that should give you an idea. However, there are some things that non surgical procedures cannot do:
- Non surgical procedures cannot remove excess skin
- Non surgical procedures cannot create big and bold changes, in most cases
- Non surgical procedures usually cannot change the way something functions (such as the nose)
- Non surgical procedures cannot always mimic the results of surgical procedures
One is Not Necessarily Better Than the Others
This is not to say that surgical or non surgical solutions are necessarily better or worse than each other. Much will depend on the outcome you actually want. For many patients, non surgical procedures are indeed the more logical choice—you might not need all that much work done.
But for other patients, surgery will be the only meaningful way forward. It will be up to you and your surgeon to determine which one will be a better fit for what you want. Just remember, there are few who would deny that non surgical procedures are a good deal easier. And in this case, there’s nothing wrong with taking the easy way out.