Summary: How long do non surgical cosmetic results last? Well, that’s a difficult question to answer, in large part because non surgical procedures tend to vary significantly. There are just a lot of options out there to choose from! Part of how long those results will last, then, has to do with whether you’re getting a dermal filler injection or a Kybella injection.
How Long Do Non Surgical Cosmetic Results Last?
Non surgical cosmetic procedures are more popular than ever. In fact, I think it’s fair to say that these procedures are absolutely booming. According to data collected by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, around 7 million people last year underwent Botox injections. And that number just keeps growing. But how long do non surgical cosmetic results last?
If you go in for Botox injections, how long can you expect the results from your Botox injection to stay with you? What about for other procedures? How long do those results typically last?
Obviously, the answer to that question is going to depend on the procedure in question. Some cosmetic procedures are designed to produce temporary results–such as Botox and dermal filler injections. But others are designed to produce permanent results even though they are non invasive, such as SkinPen or some laser procedures. So how long the results last tends to vary considerably.
How Long Do Injectables Last?
We can maybe start by talking about injectables. In general, injectables are designed to produce temporary results. (This is usually seen as a feature and not a bug, as patients tend to like the temporary aspect of the results.) In general:
- Botox injections will last anywhere between four and six months. Sometimes they can last a little longer, but not often.
- Dermal filler injections vary significantly in their length. More hyaluronic acid based fillers (such as Juvederm and Voluma) will last anywhere between 12 and 18 months. When these injectables are used to perform procedures such as non surgical nose job, the expected duration is quite similar.
Generally speaking, if patients want to keep their results, they’ll have to go in for regular maintenance injections (and when you need to schedule that will vary depending on the injectable in question). So injectables tend to be temporary, but there are some notable exceptions:
- Bellafill is an injectable used specifically to produce effectively-permanent effects. So if you want a permanent non surgical nose job, Bellafill can be used to accomplish that. Results from Bellafill have been known to last upwards of 15 years.
- Kybella is an injectable that is used to eliminate fat along the jawline. This injectable is classified as permanent not because the Kybella stays in your system forever, but because once the fat is gone, it’s gone. So the results from Kybella are effectively permanent as well.
Other Popular Non Surgical Procedures
There are a wide variety of other popular non surgical procedures–and it’s worth talking about how long you can expect results from them. Because, again, it varies considerably on the procedure. For example:
- Procedures such as SkinPen or Mircroneedling will indeed make permanent changes to the way the skin looks. However, these changes will be quite subtle. And it’s entirely possible that the skin damage cleared away by SkinPen will eventually come back (but that’s true even with surgical procedures).
- On the other hand, procedures such as Coolsculpting and Sonobello are famous for eliminating fat without the need for surgery. And, as is the case with Kybella, once that fat is gone, it’s gone–the procedure is effectively permanent. Of course, once again, the results tend to be far more subtle than you’d get from surgery, but that’s to be expected.
When you undergo many non invasive procedures, the results tend to last for quite a while, but those results (as we’ve mentioned) tend to be less bold than you might receive through surgery. Whether this is a trade off that works for you will depend on what you’re trying to accomplish and what you want your desired final outcome to look like.
Talk to Your Cosmetic Surgeon About Options
If you’re concerned (or curious) about how long a cosmetic procedure will take, be sure to spend some time talking to your cosmetic surgeon about what your options might be. Some procedure may have a temporary option and a permanent option.
How long do non surgical cosmetic results last? It depends on the procedure and on what the patient wants. Each procedure is going to have its own duration period. If you want to know more about what your non invasive, cosmetic surgery options might be, contact your local cosmetic surgeon to schedule a consultation.