Summary: Sometimes choosing a plastic surgery procedure depends on the work you want done. And sometimes that work depends on your age. There are some procedures that aren’t recommended before a certain age and others that have a kind of prime “age spot.” In other cases, there are simply some procedures that are more common in certain age groups. So let’s take a look at what the perfect year for the perfect procedure might be to patients.
Finding the Perfect Year for the Perfect Procedure
Sometimes it can feel like once you get plastic surgery, there’s no going back. That’s not totally true, of course—and we’ve written before about reversible plastic surgery procedures. That said, there’s still something to be said for timing. You want to make sure you’re getting the right procedures at the right time in your life.
You might feel as though your face is wrinkled, but there are few plastic surgeons in the world who would perform a facelift on a patient that is under, say, 40 or 50 years old. It’s just too early for that kind of procedure in most cases. In fact, one of the things that I’ve found is that many procedures have a kind of age “sweet spot.”
I should emphasize that I’m speaking in an incredibly general fashion. These age groups might be true broadly, but there will always be individual exceptions. The only way to know for sure if you’re the rule or the exception is to talk to a plastic surgeon!
Procedures for your 20s
Let’s start at the top, shall we? If you’re in your twenties, you probably aren’t going to be looking into procedures like a facelift. Instead, you’re more likely to be interested in some of the following:
- Breast augmentation: The breasts finally stop maturing (and changing) in your early twenties, making this just about the earliest that most surgeons will offer breast augmentation procedures. Getting this procedure earlier allows you to enjoy the results for a long period of time.
- Rhinoplasty: According to the website of the New Jersey rhinoplasty experts at East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery, rhinoplasty is an incredibly common procedure, in large part because it is also used to address trauma to the nose. Whether you’re young(er) and trying to escape from bullies or addressing a trauma, rhinoplasty is popular for patients in their 20s.
Other popular procedures include
- Butt Augmentation
- Lip Augmentation
Procedures for your 40s
Once you get into your 40s, your body has been through some things. So this next set of procedures is designed to help you mitigate some of the damage to your body.
- Breast Lift: As you age, your breasts will begin to feel the effects of gravity and start to sag. A breast lift is designed to restore your breasts to their original, perkier position. By reorienting your breasts to a more youthful position, the procedure is able to make patients look and feel young again.
- Tummy Tuck: There are many things that can lead to excess tissue around the belly area (child-bearing being the chief among them). The only truly effective way to get rid of that excess tissue is through plastic surgery—in this case a procedure called a tummy tuck. Tummy Tucks are designed to give you a smooth, flat tummy after it’s seen better days.
Other popular procedures include:
- Arm Lift procedures
- Breast reduction
Procedures for your 60s
For patients approaching or into their sixties, plastic surgery is designed to turn back the clock! Most of these procedures are designed to make you look young again, eliminating lines, wrinkles, and excess skin (especially around the face).
- Facelift: One of the most popular plastic surgery procedures on the market today, facelift is a procedure that eliminates lines and wrinkles in the face by getting rid of excess skin. The end result is a face that looks years younger. There are a few different options for facelift procedures—options that vary the invasiveness and totality of the procedure. In other words, you can get a partial facelift or a full facelift.
- Eyelid lift: This procedure gets rid of excess skin around the eyes. This skin can interfere with vision and make you look both a little bit older and a little more fatigued than you like. Getting an eyelid lift can help take years off your entire face by simply addressing what’s happening around your eyes. In some cases, this procedure can even be covered by medical insurance!
Other popular procedures include:
- Brow Lift
- Fillers and Injectables
It’s Not the Years, it’s the Mileage
In some cases, your fit for a procedure will come down to wear and tear—not so much how old you are. As we age, we tend to experience more wear and tear, but not everyone travels at the same rate.
The best way to find out what procedures are a good fit for you is to talk to a highly qualified plastic surgeon—or three. It’s always good to get a second opinion when figuring out when you should have a plastic surgery procedure.