Sometimes as you age, you develop wrinkles for a number of reasons. One of the reasons you begin to develop wrinkles is because gravity exerts pressure on your skin, even stretches your skin. As your skin stretches, it can look as though your face has less volume too it. Your skin may look thinner. This can lead to wrinkles and lines as well; think of the image of a deflated balloon. Juvederm is an injectable known as a “dermal filler,” and it’s specially formulated to fill some of that lost volume in the face.
JUVÉDERM® is approved for the correction of moderate to severe folds and wrinkles. It is a gel filler that is injected into the skin to make it appear younger and more refreshed. JUVÉDERM® is a smooth-consistency gel and can be used to rejuvenate many areas, and reduce the signs of aging in many areas. Patients who have received Juvederm treatments report looking and feeling more youthful. The results of this procedure may last anywhere between twelve and eighteen months, depending on the area of the face it’s been injected into.
How Does It Work?
Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler. Because hyaluronic-acid is a substance that is already native to your body, this means that Juvederm injections tend to have very low instances of allergic reactions, making it a very safe procedure. Juvederm does two basic things: it fills the volume (therefore mitigating the wrinkles) and also encourages the production and action of collagen in the body (therefore creating a nice, youthful glow). Over time, the molecules of the filler are absorbed into the body, and the additional volume will disappear unless you elect to have maintenance injections over time.
JUVÉDERM® is a safe, outpatient procedure. Most often, the procedure itself can be accomplished in as few as fifteen minutes and a simple series of injections. Many patients experience no discomfort at all when being injected by JUVÉDERM®. The injection process is fast and lasting–with just one treatment you can see results for up to a year! Your results will look very natural, due to the smooth-consistency gel. This simple, non surgical procedure can be done at any time. This has earned Juvederm a reputation for being an excellent lunch-break facelift.
What Can Juvederm Help?
It’s important to point out that there are several Juvederm products on the market, each with its own specialty area of treatment. In fact, one of the best parts about JUVÉDERM® is how many places it can improve. Everyone’s skin ages differently, and everyone has different need for the product. With JUVÉDERM® you can smooth away smile lines, vertical lines, lip lines- the possibilities are incredible! With this versatile, safe injection you can begin to see personalize results almost immediately.
The different types of Juvederm include the following:
- Juvederm XC: This particular variation is designed to treat moderate lines, folds, and wrinkles, such as nasolabial folds (more simply, these are the folds of skin that tend to develop around the nose). The injections are designed to address the loss of volume and create a natural looking result.
- Juvederm Ultra XC: This Juvederm variation is primarily designed to address lip injections and lip augmentation requests. Recently approved by the FDA for such purposes, Juvederm Ultra XC can safely increase the overall size of the lips. This is especially useful because lip augmentations are among the most sought after non surgical cosmetic procedures on the market today.
- Juvederm Voluma XC: Designed specifically to address hard to handle areas, Juvederm Voluma is great for addressing the apple of the cheek or other areas where volume loss may be most profoundly felt. The cheek area requires specially formulated molecules to address lines, wrinkles, and loss of volume. Juvederm Voluma is designed to do precisely that.
In other words, Juvederm can address the following:
- Loss of volume in the cheeks
- Lack of volume in the lips
- Nasolabial folds (wrinkles around the nose)
- Deep wrinkles around the mouth
- Lines in the face caused by lack of volume
- Wrinkles in the face caused by loss of volume
- Other problems with the face associated with lack of volume or loss of volume
How Popular Is It?
JUVÉDERM® is the number one dermal filler in the US today. It is also one of the newest, and most cutting edge–and as should be obvious from the various types of Juvederm available, new innovations are constantly being developed. Approved in 2006, JUVÉDERM® has been used in thousands of cases to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Eighty eight percent of those tested preferred the results of JUVÉDERM® to it’s competition.
Today, according to the most recent data from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, over 1.8 million procedures involving hyaluronic-acid based fillers have been performed in 2014. That doesn’t mean all of them have been Juvederm. But there’s no denying Juvederm is among the leaders in the dermal fillers field and likely accounts for a large majority of those procedures.
As one of the most popular dermal fillers on the market, it’s easy to find reviews and opinions on Juvederm, and those reviews and opinions are overwhelmingly positive. If you are interested in dermal fillers procedures, contact your local cosmetic surgeon today.
What are the Side Effects?
JUVÉDERM® is generally tolerated with few side effects. However, safety is always an issue, so it is important to research the procedures side effects before participating. Some side effects may include redness, pain, firmness, and swelling at the injection site. As with all injection procedures, there is always a risk of infection. Consult your doctor on these issues before electing for the treatment.
- THE POWER TO DEFY. (n.d.). Retrieved December 16, 2015, from http://www.juvederm.com/
- 2014 Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Statistics. (n.d.). Retrieved December 16, 2015, from http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Documents/news-resources/statistics/2014-statistics/cosmetic-procedure-trends-2014.pdf
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2015, January 13). Retrieved December 16, 2015, from http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/DeviceApprovalsandClearances/Recently-ApprovedDevices/ucm374231.htm